problem with rexec

Marilo narium85-mlscar@yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 29 08:32:00 GMT 2012

I know ssh is more secure, but I am interested in rsh/rlogin/rexec.. so i'm just trying it locally on my own few computers, just for the sake of knowing them.

rexec is working fine for me locally

$ rexec 127.0.0.1 ls
Password:
_vimrc
_vimrc
a.a
a.ag
a.b

$ rexec -l user 127.0.0.1 ls
Password:
_vimrc
_vimrc
a.a
a.ag
a.b

But when I try it from another machine, it crashes after prompting for the Password.

nmap from another machine shows
512/tcp open  exec
MAC Address: 00:0B:11:36:25:27 (Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.)

So the port is open. and rexec can run there as I ran it locally.

But when I try

It doesn't get past the password stage.
$rexec -l user 192.168.56.42 ls
Password:

It gives no error it just waits forever  after prompting for a password I until I do ctrl-c