64-bit Cygwin packages (was RE: Is the Latest Release of Cygwin supported on Windows Server 8/2012)

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:03:00 GMT 2012

On 5/22/2012 9:06 PM, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
>> From: Cygwin-L On Behalf Of Warren Young
>>
>> I would say that the vast majority of the packages in the Cygwin
>> distribution could not reasonably make use of 64-bit data spaces.
>>
>> However, one of your arguments in this thread cuts both ways: the fact
>> that there are a few packages that reasonably can do so means you cannot
>> say "we don't need it".
>
> If someone wants a 64-bit version of a packages in the distribution, then how about they build a 64-bit version of the package and report the results?  That would give the distribution maintainers actual data about the costs and benefits.

Could you please stop this discussion ?

Until we work and deploy a 64bit cygwin1.dll the idea to build
any 64 bit cygwin program is pure academic and not very useful.

If you want to propose patches for 64 bit cygwin
cygwin-developers is the right mailing list.

Regards
Marco