"emacs -nw" hangs in a terminal

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon May 21 18:51:00 GMT 2012

> On May 21 11:31, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> I can reproduce this. I'll try again to fix it.
>>
>> I've discovered something strange by running emacs under gdb.  If I
>> start emacs-24 in a terminal (but not under X) and start a shell as
>> you did, then every press of C-g creates a new thread, and these are
>> never destroyed.  I'm pretty sure the threads are created by Cygwin,
>> not by emacs.
>
> What does C-g mean in Emacs?  What's it supposed to do?  Does it
> call select or poll?

It's supposed to quit whatever operation is in progress.  It doesn't
call select or poll.  In the situation of Filipp's instructions above,
C-x C-f has caused emacs to prompt for a file name, and C-g should
interrupt that.  It also rings the the terminal bell and prints "Quit"
in the echo area at the bottom of the screen.

The situation in my instructions is slightly different.  Prior to the
user pressing C-g, emacs is running its idle loop, in which it
repeatedly calls select to see if there's any event it needs to respond
  to.  When C-g is pressed, select returns and emacs reacts to the
keypress.  In this case there's nothing to do but ring the terminal bell
and print "Quit".

Ken