Is the Latest Release of Cygwin supported on Windows Server 8/2012

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri May 18 14:58:00 GMT 2012

On 05/18/2012 07:46 AM, Cary Conover wrote:
> Was wondering with major changes to the base distro of Windows Server
> 8/2012 is anyone running compatibility tests on the platform and if so
> what observed results were? Will or Does Cygwin run on Windows Server
> 8/2012?  I have seen some comments about difficulties with Cygwin on
> Windows 8 desktop but have not heard much about Server Edition.
> Trying to determine if Cygwin latest release is an option to run
> Unix/Posix Products on Windows Server 8/2012
Don't know about Windows 8 Server. Is anybody running that? Is it even
released?
> Are there any efforts to make 64bit Releases under consideration?
>
> The reason for the question is it does not make sense to have a 64 bit
> Server with a 32 bit emulator for POSIX running any major products on
> any Server Operating System Product.
>
> This is like having Porsche running with a small VW Engine under the
> hood.  Yes it is hopped up and can run fast.  But it is not going to
> run like the turbo charged Porsche.  So why pay the price of a Porsche
> when you really are running a VW?
64-bit does not make things go any faster than 32-bit. 64-bit is
wasteful as programs grow to double in size. 64-bit is only
required/useful/etc if you have memory requirements > 4 gig. I don't
think any Cygwin executable has such requirements...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why is it called Alcoholics Anonymous when the first thing you do is