1.7.13/1.7.14: Issue with command prompt not returning when forking process

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@freemail.ru
Thu May 10 08:35:00 GMT 2012

Greetings, Daniel Colascione!

>> [cmd /c start foo not going into the background]
>> It is not likely to change.

> What worries me isn't that the behavior changed, but that the new
> behavior is weird. SIGINT doesn't work on processes spawned by cmd /c
> start.

> Try it yourself:

> $ cmd /c start notepad

> The weird thing is that cmd seems to have a PID, but sending a signal
> to this process fails with ESRCH --- except for sending signal 0,
> which succeeds.

That's expected - non-cygwin applications don't know anything about signals.
Even if, for example, SIGKILL would work on cmd (forcefully terminating it),
Notepad will stay.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...