[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: {emacs,emacs-X11,emacs-el}-24.0.96-1 (TEST)

Sat May 5 02:12:00 GMT 2012

On 04/05/2012 1:39 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 5/3/2012 4:10 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> [...]
>>> (This was fixed once and was a Cygwin bug, so I think it won't be hard
>>> for me to resurrect my test case and get it fixed again.)
>
> This is now fixed (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-05/msg00084.html).
Ack.

>>> What do you mean by "terminal mode"? Do you mean you run emacs under
>>> mintty? Or do you run it under xterm with the -nw switch? And could
>>> you elaborate on the "obvious reasons"? I don't see why you can't run
>>> emacs in a terminal under gdb; or attach to it from a different
>>> terminal if that's more convenient.
>> I usually run under mintty with -nw. When following the instructions in
>> that /etc/DEBUG file you pointed me at, the .gdbinit included
>> breakpoints and other pre-main intializations to perform that would not
>> happen if I merely attached to a running emacs. However, that will
>> probably be my next attempt, since the X11 route didn't pan out (and I
>> dislike using the graphical version).
>
> I'm not sure why you're using the -nw switch when you start emacs in
> mintty.  As far as I can tell from the documentation, -nw shouldn't do
> anything if you're not running under X.
I have DISPLAY defined for things like gnuplot, but don't want emacs to
use it even when X is available...

> I still don't see why you can't run emacs under gdb in mintty:
>
> $ cd emacs-24.0.95/src/
> $ gdb ./emacs.exe
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.50.20111026-cvs (cygwin-special)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show
> copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
> Reading symbols from /tmp/emacs-24.0.95/src/emacs.exe...done.
> SIGINT is used by the debugger.
> Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not
> from terminal]
> Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
> TERM = xterm
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x4ded26: file emacs.c, line 394.
> Temporary breakpoint 2 at 0x4f8970: file sysdep.c, line 855.
> (gdb) r -Q
> [...]
>
> Now if it crashes, won't you be returned to gdb where you can get a
> backtrace?
I guess that might work, since I wouldn't do anything but grab the
backtrace. It just doesn't work well to mix gdb and curses-using apps in
the same terminal.

> And attaching from another mintty also works; gdb processes the
> .gdbinit file just fine as long as you start gdb from the emacs src
> directory:
Duh... I hadn't thought to specify the --pid switch; I usually just
attach inside gdb, and that's too late for the purposes of .gdbinit.

Thanks!
Ryan