[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: {emacs,emacs-X11,emacs-el}-24.0.96-1 (TEST)

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue May 1 02:09:00 GMT 2012

On 4/30/2012 9:07 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 30/04/2012 8:48 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>> On 30/04/2012 4:08 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> Test releases of the emacs, emacs-X11, and emacs-el packages
>>> (24.0.96-1) are now available. This is a pretest for the upcoming
>>> release of emacs-24.1.
>>>
>>> Emacs users are encouraged to try it and report any problems to the
>>> cygwin mailing list.
>> I'm experiencing regular seg faults, often while using gdb but not
>> always (switching between buffers is another big offender). I'm not
>> sure what other information I can provide, other than the EIP=610CF707
>> reported in the .stackdump file...
> Caught one in gdb (no symbols, sadly):

> [Switching to Thread 8128.0x3d0]
> 0x0000010c in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0 0x0000010c in ?? ()
> #1 0x0054b0ac in ?? ()
> #2 0x004e4303 in ?? ()
> #3 0x0054afbe in ?? ()
> #4 0x004e4e96 in ?? ()
> #5 0x004e5180 in ?? ()
> #6 0x004dfbec in ?? ()
> #7 0x610070d8 in _cygwin_exit_return () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> #8 0x00000003 in ?? ()
> #9 0x610050dd in _cygtls::call2(unsigned long (*)(void*, void*), void*,
> void*)
> () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> Backtrace stopped: Not enough registers or memory available to unwind
> further
>
> HTH... I'm reverting for now (I can re-install if you've got specific
> ideas to try out)

Thanks for testing.  I'll try to make debugging symbols available so
that you can get a better backtrace.  It might be a few days before I
get to it.

Do you have a recipe that will reliably produce a segfault for you?
I've been using emacs-24 for months without any problems (as long as I
build without gsettings support, as I did for emacs-24.0.96-1).  But I
haven't tested gdb-mi for a while.

You said you got segfaults even while not using gdb-mi.  But did you get
segfaults in an emacs session in which you didn't use gdb-mi at all in
the entire session?

Ken