cygstart doesn't handle question marks in mailto URLs

Fri Mar 30 19:08:00 GMT 2012

On 30/03/2012 1:52 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/30/2012 12:04 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:

>>> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#IAFNAB
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-specialchars
>>>

>> Makes sense... for files, but we're dealing with a URL here, so it *is*
>> a bug IMO (but you're right, not a bug in cygwin's handling of
>> windows-style paths).
>>
>> Cygstart knows it's dealing with a URL.
>
> Actually, it doesn't, and that's the problem.  Here's the relevant
> code in cygstart.c:
>
> /* Start a program, or open a file or URL, using Cygwin POSIX paths */
> static int
> cygStart (const char *aPath, const wchar_t * action,
>           const wchar_t * args, const char *workDir,
>           int show, StartFlags startFlags)
> [...]
>   /* Convert file path from POSIX to Windows, unless it looks like a
> URL */
>   if (!strstr (aPath, "://"))
>
> Chuck, what would you think of changing this so that cygstart would
> recognize `mailto:' URLs?  It would also be useful if cygstart could
> learn to handle `file://' URLs involving POSIX paths.
Interesting... I expected it was doing strchr(aPath, ':') to detect URLS.

Given that ':' "special" for both Windows paths and URLS, why not just
call strchr(aPath, ':') ? Then we'd catch ftp, **http, mailto, etc. all
in one fell swoop. Whether to make "file:" (or "file://") a special case
is technically orthogonal (but probably a good idea).

**BTW, it turns out that Windows and Firefox both do the right thing
with `http:www.cygwin.com'

Ryan