Escaping spaces in filenames with umlauts after updating from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@freemail.ru
Fri Mar 30 17:05:00 GMT 2012

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> after updating from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10 I experience a changed behavior when
>> quoting filenames with umlauts. For example if I have a file aou.pdf in
>> the current folder with cygwin 1.7.9
>> ls "aou.pdf"
>> worked, but with cygwin 1.7.10 that gives
>> ls: cannot access "aou.pdf": No such file or directory

> That's a bug introduced almost 10 months ago and nobody noticed it.
> There are not so many people using Cygwin from cmd, I guess.  I admit
> I don't
> understand that either, given how unbearable cmd is.

Corinna, you're right and wrong at the same time.
cmd by itself is unbearable, yes.
But it's a default system shell which is used to launch applications from
other shells, like Far manager. And THAT is what makes up for what cmd lacking
in usability. Unfortunately, certain things still killing the uasability of
cygwin environment when used that way, and even having 4NT (/TakeCommandConsole)
replacing the cmd does not help alot... :(

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...