cygstart doesn't handle question marks in mailto URLs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Mar 30 13:28:00 GMT 2012

If I type `cygstart mailto:recipient?subject=subject' at a Cygwin bash
prompt, I expect my default Windows mail program to start an outgoing
message with `recipient' as recipient and `subject' as subject.  (This
is what happens if I type the same URL into a `Start Menu -> Run' box.)
  What happens instead is that `recipient?subject=subject' shows up as
the recipient, with the question mark replaced by something unprintable,
and the subject is blank.

Is this a bug in cygstart, or am I misunderstanding something?

My reason for asking this is that I'm testing xdg-utils, which is
currently available in Cygwin Ports but which will probably be added to
the Cygwin distro at some point.  I would like xdg-open to be able to
handle mailto URLs correctly if I export BROWSER=cygstart.

Ken