Cygwin Emacs and windows paths

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Mar 10 14:21:00 GMT 2012

On 3/10/2012 1:17 AM, Leo wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Recently I bit the bullet and made the switch from NT Emacs to Cygwin
> Emacs. And with this finally the annoying bash error message "cannot
> set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device"
> disappeared... :-)
>
> Now my normal Windows paths copied from Windows Explorer don't work
> anymore in Emacs - and vice versa. I know I can use `cygpath` to
> convert /on the command line/, but is there any integration for this
> in Cygwin Emacs?

No.  There may actually be some obsolete Cygwin-specific code in
files.el that's preventing this from working.  It's possible that emacs
is trying to be too smart instead of letting Cygwin handle the file
names.  (See, for instance, `convert-standard-filename'.)  I'll take a
look at it when I get a chance.

But it's generally recommended that you use POSIX-style paths in the
Cygwin environment.  For example, write `/cygdrive/c/foo' instead of
`c:\foo'.  To save typing, you can put the following line into /etc/fstab:

   C: /c some_fs binary,posix=0 0 0

Then you can just type `/c/foo'.  See the Cygwin User's Guide for more
information:

   http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive
   http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Ken