mintty scroll to bottom

Lemke, Michael SZ/HZA-ZSW lemkemch@schaeffler.com
Mon Mar 5 18:57:00 GMT 2012

On March 05, 2012 6:26 PM Ryan Johnson wrote:
>On 05/03/2012 5:05 AM, Lemke, Michael SZ/HZA-ZSW wrote:

>>> THat's why this is an option in xterm.  Every use has another idea how
>>> the terminal should behave in this regard, I guess.
>> I'd also appreciate very much implementing that option.  mintty is
>> promoted here as a replacement for rxvt but obviously lacks a functionality
>> I've come to depend on.  My use case is a terminal window in which I don't
>> do much but where a lot of background jobs regularly produce output.
>> A quick glance at the window tells me the current status of those jobs.
>> Not with mintty anymore.  Same with the classic use case tail -f logfile.
>What you describe above sounds more like mintty allowing a visible "end
>of output" to scroll off the bottom without following it, a behavior
>I've never observed and which would arguably be a bug.

That's not what I said.

>When I fire up something that produces copious output (gcc bootstrap,
>compile emacs, etc.) mintty scrolls to track end-of-output unless I
>purposefully scroll upward

Right, same here.  Turning on scroll-to-bottom would change that.  It
scrolls to bottom immediately.

>(in which case I'd prefer it to stay put long
>enough to read/copy the text rather than immediately jumping me back to
>end-of-output).

That depends on what I am doing in such a terminal.  I might have a
tail -f /var/log/messages & in that session on a system with low
syslog activity.  I want to be notified immediately if there is
output and don't mind being interrupted.

>Once the scrollbar is set back to bottom, it again
>tracks end-of-output.

Correct.  And that's the step I want to skip.  The si-option does
exactly that.

>Am I missing something? Or do your background jobs just produce output
>really infrequently compared to 'make all'?

In this case yes, but I also like scroll-to-bottom if there's more output.

>The latter is the only way I
>can see "reading stuff from the past" and "scroll-to-bottom" coexisting
>peacefully

They usually won't.  That’s why this should be an option and not the
default.

Michael