make producing basename error that can't be captured by "make &> make.out"

Paul Allen Newell pnewell@cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 2 03:26:00 GMT 2012

On 3/1/2012 7:10 PM, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 19:05, Kenneth Wolcott<kennethwolcott@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
> Is it possible that scripts and executables write to file descripter 3 or
> 4 or 5?  File descriptor 0 is STDIN (normally), and file descriptor 1 is
> STDOUT (normally) and file descripter 2 is SDTERR (normally).
>
> So, perhaps you might want to try to capture/merge the output of file
> descriptor 3, or 4 or 5?
>
> The syntax for merging is quite similar to the "2<&1" for bash which means
> "please merge the STDERR with the STDOUT".
>
> HTH,
> Ken Wolcott

Ken:

Thanks for the suggestion. Having a bit of difficulty getting all the
different ways of redirecting to work (makes me wonder about both my
copy of bash and my understanding of bash).

I was able to get:
+++
make > make.out 2>&1
+++
to produce the same results as "&>".

If I replace the "2" with 3/4/5, I still get the basename going to
screen, but the makefile's error as well (which is what I would expect
since I am not redirecting "2")

Paul