Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem

Fri Mar 2 01:15:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 21:40 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Earnie Boyd <earnie@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > And what Windows user who casually installs Cygwin has access to an X
> > server?
>
> I do and FTR: I don't want the cygwin Xorg server to be a dependency to
> all programs that might use X because that would pull in a lot of
> packages that I have no use for on most systems.  You might "recommend"
> companion packages that are typically needed to be combined with a
> specific selected package when installed in an isolated environment, but
> please not a dependency.  It is perfectly OK to install X applications
> onto a machine that doesn't have X installed.  You don't need a server
> there, nor do you need an xinit start script or anything else besides
> the actual application and a handful of DLL.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.  While we certainly promote the
Cygwin/X server, forcing xorg-server/xinit as a dependency not only
won't prevent questions (since the user still needs to *start* the X
server), but those who use other X servers will have this very
complaint.

Now please excuse me while I get back to orchestrating the next major
transition for the distro.

Yaakov