vim/cygwin: python support

Tony Mechelynck antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 13:09:00 GMT 2012

On 29/06/12 16:22, ping wrote:
> not sure this should go to vim/cygwin team...so copy both and Vlad(Voom
> plugin author)
> I got a new laptop (folio) come with win7.
> for some reason I want to give win7 a trial.
>
> cygwin full install went smooth.
> but looks I don't have python support here.
> that means I won't be able to have some plugins (like Voom) that is
> based on python.
> I did a lot of search and looks this is a common issue, but still I
> don't see a clear answer yet.
> any cygwin users can advise?
>
> regards
> ping

When I was still on Windows, I used to have some Cygwin packages
installed, but the Python I used (and compiled Vim with, using the
make_cyg.mak and the Cygwin/MinGW gcc) was not from Cygwin but from
python.org itself. See
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm for details.

The vim.exe and gvim.exe which I made that way were _built_ under Cygwin
but not for _use_ under Cygwin — they were for use under Windows from a
desktop icon or a cmd.exe prompt, and did not use the cygwin1.dll
library. Also, Win64 was still a thing of the future at the time.

DISCLAIMER: The HowTo page mentioned two paragraphs above is about 1½
years old, and since I have left Windows forever I cannot check if it is
still accurate. However, even if it isn't, a "clever user" ought to be
able to fill in the gaps.

Best regards,
Tony.
--