Small request for the new cygwin terminal

Helmut Karlowski helmut.karlowski@ish.de
Thu Jun 7 20:13:00 GMT 2012

Andy Koppe, 07.06.2012 21:12:05:

> CP850 doesn't support the C1 control characters, so you get the
> fallback instead, which is the scheme for encoding the Meta modifier
> when bit 7 isn't available. This means that Ctrl+Shift+letter
> combinations can't be distinguished from Ctrl+Alt+letter, but since
> Ctrl+Alt+letter combinations are suppposedly reserved for global
> shortcuts in Windows, they might still come in handy occasionally.
>
> There indeed is another scheme of encoding C1 control characters with
> an ESC followed by the base character, e.g. ^[A instead of ^[^A, but
> that would have made the Ctrl+Shift+letter keycode the same as
> Alt+letter rather than Ctrl+Alt+letter, which is why I chose the Meta
> scheme.
>
> I hope that makes some sense.

Yes. One question remains: Does the Character Set (ISO, CP, etc.) have an
effect on the terminfo-terminal-description? I've added

csin=\233,

but I'm not sure if it's really necessary, and if it's wrong when I switch
the Character Set. tgetstr() returns the value defined in xterm-terminfo,
which may be wrong for another character set. When csin is missing in
xterm, tgetstr() returns 0. I'm not sure if this can be solved inside
mintty, is there a fallback if an entry in terminfo is missing?

--
Helmut Karlowski