Setup shows ? instead of size for some packages

Aaron Schneider notstop@users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 29 00:55:00 GMT 2012

On 28/07/2012 23:33, szgyg wrote:
> On 7/28/2012 6:56 AM, L Anderson wrote:
>> Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
>> ? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup. Also, I notice that
>> most, if not all the packages, seem to be related to source or
>> libraries. I've read the setup documentation, googled, and searched the
>> mail list but can't seem to find as answer as to what's behind it.
>>
>> Would someone in the know please tell me what causes it, what it means,
>> and is it a problem?
>
> No, it isn't a problem. Those packages don't have any binary content,
> that's why setup.exe show ? as their size. We use them when more than
> one package is generated from the same upstream source, e.g.
> libsomething1, libsomething-devel and something-doc. In this case the
> package something, with "(source)" in its description, will contain the
> source, and the other packages will contain the binary stuff. What Aaron
> has described is another possible source of ? sizes, but then the
> packages would be in the Misc category, as setup.exe wouldn't have the
> category info either.
>
> szgyg

Well, for that particular cases I would prefer showing 'dummy' instead
of '?'. The question mark is prolific to make think that something is
wrong or selectable, on the other case you see it's intentional.