Cygwin fresh install imports Windows PATH which includes spaces causing errors

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Jul 25 00:48:00 GMT 2012

On 7/24/2012 1:35 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:
> On 24/07/2012 18:08, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
>> You must be running a non-cygwin make.
>>
>> That said, however, make does not deal well with spaces in file
>> specifications.  If something is actually parsing a PATH environment
>> variable then it could cause problems.
>>

> You're right, I know what caused the problem, a window's system path
> (not user's path) that includes the make.exe
>
> c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symbian\tools\make.exe
>
> Since  there wasn't /usr/local/bin/make or /usr/bin/make just searched
> on paths imported from windows.
There'd be a /bin/make if you installed it...

    $ which make
    /bin/make

IMHO it's always better to go with a Cygwin way of doing things instead
of installing some Unix/Linux thing through some Windows port like this
Symbian\tools thing...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Some people just don't know how to drive, I call these people "Everybody