Confusing, but not fatal bug....rmdir removed network dir (rename to .____00000hexnum/)

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sun Jul 22 05:57:00 GMT 2012


I sometimes use "rmdir *" to clean up empty dir's.

This is not safe running under cygwin on Win7-64 when
interacting with network-shares hosted on a samba
server with unix extensions.

I do not know why and there was no permanent damage, but
two of my directories -- both real directories (not symlinks or such)
one, Documents/Desktop (it would have been pointed to by a windows symlink
in my home dir),

AND
a subdir under my Pictures dir -- that AFAIK, has no symlinks pointing
at it, though the Pictures dir itself has multiple symlinks pointing
to it (~/Pictures ~/Documents/Pictures).

Only those two dirs were affected
(they were actually renamed to
.___00000000c35e9519042054f270dcabaa/
.___000000000005ec3bf67c17a3eb678016/

---
Both had open files in them as well but no files were
missing (i.e. no signs of contents attempting to be
removed like a rm -fr might have tried)...

Just the dir couldn't be removed (non-empty dirs are like
that), so it apparently was renamed to some random name.

There doesn't appear to be any entries in my pending-moves
operations, so I don't know what might have tried to trigger
their removal...(?)...

Anyway, I was editing a file in one of the dirs and when I
went to save, it couldn't... that's when I couldn't find
the dir..so caught pretty fast, and ran 'find' and found
my Desktop had also gotten deleted (not that I'd noticed,
likely, until I rebooted, or tried to add/subtract an icon/file
on my desktop).

(Yeah... my desktop is in a remote dir on the net, so when
the net is down, I get a blank desktop where nothing can
be saved...)...though having it in my doc folders on the net
allows me have a common desktop content on multiple computers
and accounts that share that doc dir.

After I restored it, (rename from ugly to correct name),
I tried the same rmdir again -- did it again.

I don't know why those two particular dirs though it might
have something to do with windows directories returning 0
length for the dirs...
AND something to do with the fact that I had files OPEN
in both of the affected dirs....

Thought folks should be aware of the potential problem...

Attaching cygcheck.out in case that provides any clues....



-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck.out
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20120722/3fe91a03/attachment.ksh>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple


More information about the Cygwin mailing list