latex error: latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Jul 17 19:05:00 GMT 2012

On 7/17/2012 2:48 PM, Keith Lindsay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I attempt to run latex on a simple .tex file (attached), I get the
> following error message:
>
> $ latex polynom.tex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Cygwin)
> restricted \write18 enabled.
> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

The postinstall script for texlive-collection-latex should have created
a new latex.fmt.  The quick fix for your problem is to run

   /usr/bin/fmtutil-sys --all

as administrator (or as whichever user did the Cygwin installation).
But you should probably also make sure that the postinstall scripts have
all run successfully, or else you could run into other problems.

Ken