Differences between C++ 'new' operator and 'malloc()' (NOT a C/C++ question)

Claude SIMON simon.claude@zeusw.org
Thu Jul 12 16:00:00 GMT 2012

Ryan Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> Sorry, I should have actually looked at the repo before assuming the
> test case was a monstrosity. By way of penance, I've now looked,
> downloaded, tweaked, and tested it.
> [...]

Thanks for testing.

I removed your test results (and the other stuff) from this message, not
because I'm not interested into, but because I have a new problem, which
prevents me to investigate further the original problem in the light of
your test results.

Since my last testings, I updated Cygwin, the JDK and the JRE. So, my
current configuration is now :

Windows Vista 32 bits SP2
Cygwin 1.7.15
g++ 4.5.3
javac 1.7.0_05
javah 1.7.0_05
java 1.7.0_05

When running the test case, I now have :

$ java jcmc
Loading library 'jcmc'...Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: H:\cvs\epeios\bugs\jcmc\jcmc.dll: L'accÞs
Ó cet emplacement de la mÚmoire n'est pas valide
        at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at jcmc.main(jcmc.java:9)

There is a French message which roughly means "The access to this memory
location is not valid"

I updated the test case to reflect your changes :
	- 'Makefile' now generates the '.h' file,
	- 'Makefile' does no more contain the '--stdcall-alias' linker flag,
	- the '.cpp' contains now the `extern "C"' directive,
	- the '.h' is removed from test case, since it's now generated by the

I have the new error message with this modified test case, but also with
the original one. I suspect that the French error message is issued by
Cygwin or by one of its sub-component, since the JVM never issued a
message which wasn't in English, but Cygwin did.

So, I have to postpone the study of the 'malloc()' related bug until I
manage to resolve this new issue ; I then come back to your test results.
But, meanwhile, if someone has an idea why I have this new error...

Here again the address where the test case can be found :

Claude SIMON (sc.cygwin.com@zeusw.org)

Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

More information about the Cygwin mailing list