cygrunsrv fails to prompt for user password

Steven Hartland killing@multiplay.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 17:39:00 GMT 2012

We're updating our servers to a newer version of cygwin (1.7.15)
from previous 1.7 version and in this version the install of
cygrunsrv (V1.40, Apr 25 2012) fails to correctly prompt for
a user password even though -u <username> is being specified.

It seems like cygrunsrv maybe checking for an "interactive"
session and incorrectly determining its not as in our case
we are running the cygrunsrv via ssh e.g.

ssh "cygrunsrv ...."

We know that this worked correctly in cygrunsrv V1.34, Mar 18
2008.

Bug introduced recently?

    Regards
    Steve