Phantom processes left over

Richard H Lee ricardohenrylee@gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 11:32:00 GMT 2012

Has anybody come across processes being left over?

I'm extending an open source project. The functionality I'm adding is
keeping track of running processes. I store the list of active processes
in shared memory. When querying the list I also call kill with a 0
signal on all the entries to test if they are still running.

The problem is that when a process has clearly ended, by this I mean it
does on show up in cygwin's ps or window's task manager, calling kill
with signal 0 still returns 0. The same for calling "kill -s 0 <pid>"
from the command line. This indicates that supposedly the process is
still running. Also the pid is still present in the /proc filesystem.