Use of acl on smb related filesystems

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Jan 24 01:39:00 GMT 2012

OK I'm starting a new thread here for this different problem. Here's a
problem statement:

Ltsdo-adefaria:pwd
/home/adefaria
Ltsdo-adefaria:mount | grep adefaria
//fs-irva-82/adefaria on /home/adefaria type netapp (binary,user)
Ltsdo-adefaria:touch foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l foo
-rw-r--r-- 1 adefaria clearusers 0 Jan 23 17:30 foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:chmod 400 foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l foo
-r--r--r-- 1 adefaria clearusers 0 Jan 23 17:30 foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:grep adefaria /etc/fstab
//fs-irva-82/adefaria           /home/adefaria  ntfs
binary,posix=1,user,acl 0 0
Ltsdo-adefaria:

I've read through http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
and it's a little confusing to me. The part about acl says "Cygwin uses
the filesystem's access control lists (ACLs) to implement real POSIX
permissions (default).  This flag only affects filesystems supporting
ACLs (NTFS) and is ignored otherwise". This seems to indicate that acl
will only work on NTFS but it's not clear. Further there are two
examples of acl further down the page:

A mount point for a remote directory without ACL support:

   //server/share/subdir /srv/subdir smbfs binary,noacl 0 0

Seems odd to specify noacl if acls are not supported anyway. And the
example:

   //server/share /mysrv    ntfs     posix=1,acl   0 0
   none           /cygdrive cygdrive posix=0,noacl 0 0

Assume there's a file \\server\share\foo on the share. When accessing it
as /mysrv/foo, then the flags posix=1,acl of the /mysrv mount point are
used. When accessing it as //server/share/foo, then the flags for the
cygdrive prefix, posix=0,noacl are used.

Which seems to suggest that acl will be paid attention too if I access
foo through /home/adefaria but not through //fs-irva-82/adefaria but
that doesn't seem to be working.

Where am I reading this incorrectly?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless cord.