Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Mon Jan 23 20:33:00 GMT 2012

On 1/23/2012 11:38 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Andrew DeFaria!
>
>> What "feature" does putty have that I need? A GUI dialog box that I need to
>> fill out to connect to a system?
> No, you don't need a GUI dialog box to connect to your system with PuTTY.
> Just invoke it with
> putty.exe -ssh username@address
>
> It'll use default session configuration for given connection.
I assumed it had other ways to invoke it. I was asking what the
advantages are. Many people view a GUI <anything> as an advantage.
> The main advantages of PuTTY is
> 1. Native code. Works much faster, where Cygwin applications are rather slow
> to invoke on my system. Hope it'll change with 1.7.10, though.
Yes, it may be quicker. However I don't think I can even catch the
difference in speed with a stopwatch.
> 2. Single-point connection with familiar interface to many, many consoles.
> That's a big advantage, if all you ever want 90% of the time is connecting to
> other hosts.
Not sure I'm understanding this at all. Seems to me with Cygwin it's ssh
username@host for any host or username and for putty it's putty -ssh
username@host. I'm not sure how the later is better than the former...
> 3. Vast configuration options. I've been able to overcome every deficiency of
> the remote host I've been connecting to. Including some rather stupid consoles
> with insane keymaps.
I've never experienced any "deficiency of the remote host" that you
speak of...
> 4. Which is really should be #1: SSH client is just one of many possible uses.
> Modem/serial line terminal client is what I'm using often myself. Referring
> back to #2 - a single-point entryway to all possible consoles.
I'm only interested in ssh. I haven't used a modem/serial line in some
10-15 years. And if I need to use telnet instead of ssh I simply type
telnet instead of ssh.

Look I know we all have our preferences and sometimes for good reason.
That's why I ask and want to know. There have been times when somebody
else's preferences and reasons made me switch because they were
compelling. No harm in that... Unfortunately I don't see any compelling
reasons to switch 'cept perhaps speed and as I said, to me, it's hardly
noticeable...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket and said,