cygport: broken vs. autotools by "set -e"

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 07:21:00 GMT 2012

On 1/20/2012 12:45 AM, Dave Korn wrote:

>      Hi list,
>
>    I just updated my Cygwin installation for the first time since Oct 26 last
> year, and now I'm unable to successfully run cygport builds any more.  The
> builds fail because of the spontaneous exiting of one or other of the scripts
> that cygport invokes - I've had autoconf-2.68 spontaneously exiting during the
> autoreconf stage, and if I skip over that the configure scripts do the same thing.
>
>    On closer inspection, it turns out that they were exiting first time they
> executed subcommands that failed.  I added 'set -o' to my cygport script, both
> inline so it would be executed when the script gets sourced, and inside my
> override of src_compile so I could see what was happening just before the
> configure call, and sure enough it showed me that errexit was off at the start
> of the run but had been set on by the time execution reached src_compile.
>
>    Commenting-out the "set -e;" line at the start of /usr/bin/cygport has fixed
> this problem, and my builds now run just fine, but huh?  I checked in git;
> that line has been there since like forever, so why is it giving me trouble
> now?  Is there something I could have changed in my environment or startup
> scripts that is causing this -e to propagate to subshells that it didn't used
> to, or did there used to be a mechanism in cygport that would have had the
> effect of turning it off for subshells that has now been removed for some reason?
>
>      cheers,
>        DaveK

FYI,

I have see no particular issue running latest cygport and autoconf

autoconf                       10-1
autoconf2.1                    2.13-10
autoconf2.5                    2.68-1
cygport                        0.10.7-1

on latest cygwin snapshot
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.10s(0.259/5/3) 20120111 22:39:26

I just finished the build of octave and it is usually a good crash test.

Regards
Marco