ssh/scp sometimes unable to connect

Thu Jan 19 21:32:00 GMT 2012

Hi all,

I just re-ran setup.exe yesterday and now ssh behaves erratically, often
timing out instead of asking for a password:
> $ ssh cs.utoroto.ca
> ssh: connect to host cs.utoroto.ca port 22: Connection timed out

I rebased my system after the update and replaced the 13 Nov snapshot
I've been using with the one from 11 Jan, but the problem persists. This
doesn't seem to be fork-related in any obvious way: ssh runs but then
times out on an fcntl syscall (see attached strace.out).

Normally I'd blame the network or the host, but sysadmins for the
machine are unaware of anything that might cause the problem; I can
maintain an open ssh connection to that host (cpu and memory usage there
are both low) and can connect to it from other terminals windows during
the failing attempt, which suggests the problem is on my side of the
network. Even more strangely, changing things (ssh instead of scp,
different user name, different host alias) makes it work or not (and, of
course, sometimes it just works). Running strace or not doesn't seem to
make a difference, though.

Ideas?
Ryan