socket performance (was Re: Building cygwin1.dll)

Steven Hartland killing@multiplay.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 18:23:00 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corinna Vinschen"
> Well, the file I downloaded was a self-extracting zip archive and the
> file it contains is called Windows6.1-KB983528-x64.msu, so I'm fairly
> certain it's the right one for an AMD64 system.

Windows6.1-KB983528-x64.msu is the file I have here too so unless
there's something else a play i.e. running as Administrator UAC rubish?

>> If this bug is effecting your you need to ensure that you make no connections
>> using the machine that could possibly trigger the throughput issues prior to
>> testing. Otherwise you'll be using a tcp stack without scaling.
>
> Sounds tricky.  The laptop is a domain member and it's not in the same
> room with me so I'm running this via rdesktop.  But that would be fixable.
>
> However, if this issue is the problem, then why is sftp fast and only scp
> and rsync slow?  I can reproduce this at will, not only once in the
> right order.

Hmm that would indeed not be explained by the KB iirc there are some
internal differences between the way sftp and scp transfer data.

Do you have a wireshark dump of the two transfers we could examine?

    Regards
    Steve