[ANNOUNCEMENT] CALL FOR TESTING: Cygwin 1.7.10

Sun Jan 8 21:59:00 GMT 2012

On 1/8/2012 4:45 PM, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Hi
>
> [Corinna Vinschen]

>>> The switch to mintty, simply. Brltty uses ReadConsoleOutputCharacter()
>>> to get the text from consoles, I bet mintty does not implement this.
>>> Lars thus needs cygwin to be able to run from a standard windows console
>>> too.
>>
>> Lars wrote in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-12/msg00124.html
>> that he always starts Cygwin from cmd.exe.
>
> Yes, right. After starting Cygwin, I run BRLTTY to fire up my braille
> display. Do you plan to drop Cygwin's support for running under CMD?
> I don't hope so.

It's always been possible to run Cygwin programs from cmd.exe and there is
no plan to change that.  But the default is now to start mintty from
cygwin.bat where previously it was cmd.exe.  Mintty is much more
configurable and generally provides a better user experience than cmd.exe.
That's the reason for the change.

--
Larry