How to revert to older Cygwin1 dll?

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de
Wed Feb 29 14:27:00 GMT 2012

Leo <leoslists@letterboxes.org> was heard to say:

> It did work before, so I would like to revert to an older version of
> the cygwin1.dll. How can I do this? And is there a way to revert the
> other packages so that they are compatible with the older cygwin1 all?
>
> Many thanks. Any help is appreciated. It is very annoying to have no
> bash in NTemacs!

Please be aware that by sticking to an older version of the cygwin1
dll you may cut yourself off of any improvements that Cygwin may
provide in the future. If the regression that you reported is not
caused by a recently introduced bug but by an improvement of Cygwin's
innards, it probably won't be fixed or reverted. You should reconsider
your choice of NTEmacs over Cygwin Emacs before doing this. I have
used both editors in the past, and the only undisputable advantage of
NTEmacs is its support of file drag+drop. I've solved that problem by
adding an entry to Explorer's "Send to" menu. NTEmacs also has major
drawbacks such as a speed problem with certain file operations which
I've documented here:
http://www.mhoenicka.de/system-cgi/blog/index.php?itemid=2022&catid=37. I've
also figured out a way to run both Emacs flavors off a single .emacs
file which might help to wean yourself from NTEmacs, see here:
http://www.mhoenicka.de/system-cgi/blog/index.php?itemid=2023&catid=37.

hope this helps
Markus

--