Spurious characters in USERPROFILE variable when running ssh

Kai-Mikael Jää-Aro kai@vizrt.com
Wed Feb 8 17:34:00 GMT 2012

I have set up an sshd server on my Windows XP box.  If I run the bash
shell locally on the XP box, the USERPROFILE environment variable is
shown as C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator but if I run ssh to the
XP box, USERPROFILE displays as \??\C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

I tried setting USERPROFILE explicitly in .bashrc and then it works for
terminal-based ssh, but not when I attempt to connect from my Hudson
server (see http://hudson-ci.org/) as it still gets the junky
USERPROFILE (which in turn leads to the command failing, which is why
this is a problem for me).

Presumably this is some trivial configuration issue, but I have not been
able to locate what might cause the spurious prefix, googling for a
solution hasn't helped either.

I attach the output from cygcheck.