Documentation on -mno-cygwin Accuracy

carolus worwor@bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 7 23:29:00 GMT 2012

On 2/7/2012 5:14 PM, Jesse Ziser wrote:

> Well, if you don't want them to have to install Cygwin, then that's a
> bigger issue than just licensing. Think of Cygwin like an OS. If you
> want to create something that can run under Windows, not Cygwin, then
> you have to build it for Windows, not Cygwin. I don't know that it is
> even possible to simply "bundle" Cygwin with your application. Cygwin
> isn't just some little collection of libraries or something. It's a
> whole system that must be correctly installed on someone's computer.
>
> If you really want Mingw (a free compiler and development environment
> for Windows), maybe what you should do is just download and install
> Mingw, and use that, instead of doing it through the Cygwin compiler
> using a barely-supported option. (Then you should get help with any
> problems you have over at Mingw's website instead of here.)

Building with mingw used to be as simple as adding the -mno-cygwin
compiler flag.  I know mingw is a separate application, but cygwin's
setup.exe took care of the installation, and -mno-cygwin took care of
the invocation.  From the standpoint of the dumb engineer, it was just a
matter of a compiler option in a standard cygwin installation.

It appears that all of that is still possible, not quite as easy but
still easy enough, as Marco Atzeri explained.