Intermittent failures retrieving process exit codes

Tom Honermann thonermann@coverity.com
Fri Dec 21 20:01:00 GMT 2012

On 12/21/2012 01:30 AM, Tom Honermann wrote:
> I don't know which Windows releases are affected by this.  I've only
> reproduced the problem (outside of Cygwin) with Wow64 processes running
> on 64-bit Windows 7.  I haven't yet tried elsewhere.

I was able to reproduce the issue with a 64-bit executable compiled with
the test case in the parent email using Microsoft's Visual Studio 2010
x64 compiler.  This issue does not appear to be specific to support for
running 32-bit processes on 64-bit Windows via Wow64.

I have not yet tried to reproduce this on any release of Windows other
than 64-bit Windows 7 SP1.  I am curious about what other Windows
releases are affected.  Please reply if you try the test case and are
able to reproduce the problem on other Windows releases.  So far, I'm
only aware of the issue being reproduced on multi-processor systems.  I
suspect the problem can occur on single-processor systems as well, but
is much less likely to.

Tom.