Updated: emacs*-24.2.90-1 (TEST)

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:03:00 GMT 2012

On 12/6/2012 3:21 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
>>> Thanks to the efforts of Daniel Colascione, there is also a new package
>>>
>>> *** emacs-w32-24.2.90-1,
>>>
>>> again a test release, for users who want to use the native Windows GUI
>>> for display.
>
> I've encountered only one problem so far:
>
> If I start emacs-w32 from a mintty without launching dbus-daemon first and use
> any command that should bring up a dialog box, then Emacs hangs up hard and
> can't even be killed from Cygwin.  You have to end its misery from the task

emacs-w32 shouldn't require dbus-daemon, as far as I know.  This sounds
like a bug.  Could you give me a specific recipe for reproducing the
problem?  And it couldn't hurt to send cygcheck output also.

> manager (the Gtk build will also hang up on you in a slightly different way
> after you close the dialog box it has shown).  I believe this is related to pipe
> handling as you'll get messages about broken pipes sometimes.

Again, please send a recipe for producing the problem with the Gtk build.

> Anyway, since it's not obvious that and why emacs-w32 would need dbus to
> function I thought I should mention it here.  I would prefer if it was only
> needed for the Gtk build, otherwise I'll have to come up with a wrapper script
> that ensures dbus is started.

If it turns out to be necessary, which I doubt, you can simply put the
following in your .bashrc (assuming you use bash as your shell):

if [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ] ; then
     eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
fi

Ken