CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 09:47:00 GMT 2012

On 8/7/2012 10:16 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize if I didn't pick the proper mailing list, but "discussion
> about packages" sounded right to me...

wrong mailing list.
Packages is for discussion between package managers,
not for bugs or help.

Forwarded to the right one: cygwin

> from what I can tell, a user of CygWin SVN has no possibilities to be
> aware of the fact that it is indeed CygWin SVN, and not another program.

$ which svn
/usr/bin/svn

I guess is very clear

> This is the root cause for problems like
>
>     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM-213
>
> (This is about an Apache Maven plugin, that uses a file list to specify
> files being committed. Of course, for CygWin SVN the files in the list
> must have a suitable format. Which they have not, as the plugin has no
> idea about the svn binary it is using, apart from the path.) Currently,
> svn --version emits the message below: This should insted be something
> like "svn, version 1.7.5 (CygWin, r1336820)".

I do not understand why you need different file for cygwin.

Commit on cygwin should follow cygwin rules (unix like),
so something like

svn co your_server /cygdrive/c/TomTom/tmp/release/myapp

should be fine.

See also the cygpath usage for conversion between
cygwin and MS path styles

$ cygpath -u "c:\temp"
/cygdrive/c/temp

$ cygpath -u "c:\TomTom\tmp\release\myapp"
/cygdrive/c/TomTom/tmp/release/myapp

> Thanks,
>
> Jochen

Regards