Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

Wed Apr 18 18:43:00 GMT 2012

On 4/18/2012 2:30 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM, De-Jian Zhao wrote:
>>
>> Thank you, Christopher. Is there a way to export the package info or lib
>> info of setup.exe to rpm? If they can share information, the problem will be
>> easily solved.
>>

> You can always read the source code to determine how to read the
> package info of setup.exe.

Or in other words, there is nothing that currently exists that translates
setup's view of this information to RPMs or vice-versa.

>> Besides, I tried --nodeps option with src.rpm. It requires root privilege
>> (see below). However, "sudo rpm" and "su root" both failed to work. Any way
>> to fix it? Does Cygwin has a root user?
>
> It would be the Windows administrator user.  You probably need to
> execute mkpasswd.  See http://cygwin.com/faq/ and search for passwd on
> the page.

Actually, that's not 100% true, though mapping "root" to the Administrator's
SID in the '/etc/passwd' file might work in this case.  'mkpasswd' won't
generate a 'root' user by default.  In any case, I'd ask first why DJ
thinks that root is actually required.  I don't see anything in the output
that says this.

--
Larry