Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

De-Jian Zhao dejian.zhao@gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:22:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-4-19 1:08, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:05:38AM +0800, De-Jian Zhao wrote:
>>> So with all of the back and forth about this, you never realized that
>>> Cygwin's setup.exe doesn't use RPM?  Wow.  Wasn't the fact that there
>>> are no .rpm files in the distribution a big enough clue?
>> I never expect setup.exe will use rpm packages. There is a rpm command
>> in Cygwin. I just thought it could be used to install a rpm package.
> And, although it is a very old, basically-unmaintained package, it can
> be used to install rpm packages.
>
>> The rpm package complained about dependencies during installation. I did
>> think that the dependency could be solved by installing proper packages
>> through setup.exe.
>> But after installing some libraries through setup.exe, the rpm package
>> still complained the same as before.  It seemed that the rpm package
>> did not see the installed libraries at all.
> I don't know if you are getting this or not but, yes, you can install
> cygwin packages which would allow you to satisfy the needs for building
> an rpm package.  That doesn't mean that rpm would magically know about
> it since rpm maintains its own package database which obviously is not
> updated by setup.exe.  So, while the programs you need to build an
> rpm package may be available, rpm does not know this.  The fact that
> we use setup.exe and "cygcheck" to query our packages should be a
> huge clue that setup.exe does not know anything about rpm.
>
> The --nodeps option to rpm will silence the dependency warnings but
> it won't fix real problems if required packages are missing.
>
> rpm is basically a curiosity on Cygwin.  It really isn't that useful.
> If you want to build Cygwin packages, you should be investigating
> cygport.

Thank you, Christopher. Is there a way to export the package info or lib
info of setup.exe to rpm? If they can share information, the problem
will be easily solved.

Besides, I tried --nodeps option with src.rpm. It requires root
privilege (see below). However, "sudo rpm" and "su root" both failed to
work. Any way to fix it? Does Cygwin has a root user?
Administrator@acer /cygdrive/d/Blast/source
$ rpm --nodeps --install ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.src.rpm
warning: user coremake does not exist - using root
warning: group cppcore does not exist - using root
warning: user coremake does not exist - using root
warning: group cppcore does not exist - using root

As to cygport, it seems that a *.cygport file is required. How to get
the file?
$ cygport ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.src.rpm install
*** ERROR: ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.src.rpm.cygport not found.
Administrator@acer /cygdrive/d/Blast/source
$ cygport cbi-blast-2.2.26+-src.tar.gz install
*** ERROR: cbi-blast-2.2.26+-src.tar.gz.cygport not found.

DJ