error while running shell in emacs

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de
Fri Sep 30 20:21:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

after moving to a new position I have set up a fresh Cygwin installation:

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sbhc123 1.7.9(0.237/5/3) 2011-03-29 10:10 i686 Cygwin

I use some Emacs extensions which execute external programs using
(call-process). This used to work on my previous setup, but it fails
on my current box. The following command run in Emacs reproduces what
seems to be the problem:

(call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")
bash: Kann die Prozessgruppe des Terminals nicht setzen (-1).:
Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: Keine Job Steuerung in dieser Shell.

As you can see, my Cygwin also started speaking German, but I didn't
get round to fix that yet. The messages loosely translate to: "cannot
set terminal process group" and "no job control in this shell".

Is this an incorrect setup of either Cygwin or Emacs, or is this
indeed a problem that crept into Cygwin recently?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka