rebaseall and cygstdc++-6.dll

Mon Sep 26 20:35:00 GMT 2011

On 26/09/2011 2:28 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 9/26/2011 5:15 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 02:15 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>>    The problem is in binutils, and the fact that it generates base
>>> relocs for
>>> entries from EH data that should be just ignored.
>>>
>>>    http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2011-09/msg00174.html
>>> contains more detail, if you want to ask more let's do it on the
>>> binutils list.
>>>
>>>    So to answer your question: the gcc language-specific runtime
>>> DLLs have to
>>> be built using the patched version of binutils, otherwise they break
>>> when they
>>> get rebased; that's why I'm rebuilding the gcc packages - having
>>> already
>>> locally rebuilt binutils.  This will only be a big issue for anyone
>>> who wants
>>> to rebuild gcc from source themselves, the new packages I upload to
>>> the distro
>>> will still work for everyone regardless of what binutils they have
>>> installed
>>> and/or how or when or where they get rebased.
>>
>> Except that this issue doesn't affect only libstdc++, but any C++
>> library which throws exceptions (as I have seen on my system).  So we
>> really do need a patched binutils ASAP.
>>

> There is an easy way to identify such libraries ?
> Just to know if I need to rebuild some of mines .
If the problem affects any library which throws (as opposed to one which
merely supports propagating/unwinding due to exceptions), then the
presence of __cxa_throw in the output of nm would be a good indicator.
If unwind handlers are also affected, then anything with a .eh_frame
section is suspect (but that would be all C++ programs unless compiled
in no-except mode).

Ryan