Problem w/ gdb 7.3.50-2 under emacs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Sep 17 15:08:00 GMT 2011

On 9/13/2011 11:48 PM, Bill Priest wrote:
> All,
>        I updated gdb to 7.3.50-2 and I can no longer run M-x gdb under
> emacs inside rxvt (gdb core dumps).  Reverting back to 7.3.50-1 and it
> works.  The executable being debugged is built with gcc 4.5.3 and gdb
> under rxvt and ddd works.  Running M-x shell (/bin/sh) gdb also works.
>   Running M-x gdba fails identically  to M-x gdb.  The odd thing is
> that after "Reading symbols ... done" nothing is typed and the
> "Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped) occurs w/o typing a key.
>
> Bill
>
> t.c
> --------------
> #include<stdio.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
>   printf("Hello World\n");
>   return 0;
> }
> ---------------
>
> compiled with
> gcc -Wall -g -o t t.c
>

> Current directory is ~/
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.50.20110821-cvs (cygwin-special)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
> Reading symbols from /home/wpriest/t.exe...done.
> (gdb)
> Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped)

I can confirm this.  Bug M-x gud-gdb seems to work fine.  I realize,
however, that it may not give you the graphical interface that you'd like.

Notice that when you use M-x gdb, emacs calls gdb with the --annotate=3
option.  A google search suggests that this option is obsolete.  I don't
know if that's part of the problem or not.  I can run gdb with that
option outside of emacs and it doesn't segfault.

Ken