1.7.9(0.237/5/3): not seeing some Windows files

Fri Sep 16 14:05:00 GMT 2011

On 09/15/2011 11:02 PM, Robert Perlberg wrote:
> Very interesting.  Thank you for that information.  My goal here is to
> run ntbackup via ssh.  Based on this information I copied ntbackup.exe
> to another folder that does not get redirected and I can invoke it from
> there via ssh.  It seems to run fine, so I question why Microsoft chose
> to make it inaccessible to 32 bit apps.  My concern is that now I have
> to keep track of when ntbackup.exe gets updated and update the copy.

Have a look at the File System Redirector article at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187.aspx .

In short, for 32-bit processes running under WOW64, %windir%\System32 is
redirected to %windir%\SysWOW64, so "old" 32-bit processes continue to
see a 32-bit environment.  Starting with *Vista*, they added
%windir%\Sysnative to point to the 64-bit %windir%\System32.

There's more to it, e.g. %windir%\regedit.exe also being redirected, so
make sure to read the article to avoid further surprises.

Ron