Cygwin now licensed under GPLv3+

Luke Kendall luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Tue Sep 13 08:26:00 GMT 2011

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Cygwin friends and users,
>

> I'm happy to announce that, effective immediately, Red Hat has
> relicensed Cygwin from "GNU Public License version 2" (GPLv2) to
> "GNU Public License version 3 or later" (GPLv3+).

What does that mean in terms of Cygwin components?  Each component
normally has its own license, so does the above statement mean that
things like the Cygwin DLL and other Cygwin-only components are under GPLv3?

Is there an explicit list or a precise description of what parts of
Cygwin are covered by GPLv3?

Regards,

luke