"unexpected token" error (cygwin 2.738 make)

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Mon Sep 12 14:25:00 GMT 2011

On 9/12/2011 5:24 AM, Gwen Morse wrote:
> I installed cygwin 2.738 on a new Windows 7 system and tried to build
> a project from source. I have been able to do this in the past, I
> wanted to check if there's any problems with this newer version of
> cygwin.
>
> when I type make I get an error message about an unexpected token with
> an open parenthesis.
>
> $ make
> /bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> /bin/sh: -c: line 0: `cd src; PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/
> cygdrive/c/Program F
> iles (x86)/Windows Resource Kits/Tools:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/
> Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPo
> werShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth Software:/cygdrive/c/P
> rogram Files/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth Software/syswow64:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)
> /Common Files/Roxio Shared/DLLShared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Calibre2:/c
> ygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/HMA! Pro VPN/bin:/usr/lib/lapack:@PATH@ make files
> '
This looks like problems with failing to quote paths with embedded
spaces, lack of escapes on wild card characters, items on path which one
would hope have no relevance to your build, ....
Difficult to believe it is a cygwin version problem.

--
Tim Prince