admin privileges when logging in by ssh?

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Mon Sep 12 05:00:00 GMT 2011

On 9/11/2011 9:07 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> When a user with administrative privileges logs in to sshd, it seems that the user is only granted
>>> standard user privileges for that session.  Is there a way around that?  How can I get the admin
>>> privileges for that session?
>>
>> Nevermind.  I found the answer from Corinna way back in 2004:
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00087.html.  "The bottom line is, if you need all the user's
>> access rights use password authentication.  If that doesn't help, you're out of luck."
>
> Continuing my conversation with myself...
>
> The above is half right.  It seems that I have to log in by password
> authentication, and then authenticate again to UAC, before I get my admin
> rights.
>
> At the console that's how it works:  I log in as the backup user, ask for admin
> rights, authenticate again to UAC, and then, finally, can read or write any file
> on the system.
>
> In sshd, I log in by password authentication, but now I'm stuck because I don't
> know a command-line program to authenticate to UAC.  Without that, I don't have
> any admin rights.
>
> So:  Is there a command-line program that will allow me to authenticate to UAC?
> And do I have this right?

If what you want to do is to run a particular program with elevated
privileges (which I guess might include cmd.exe), then this web
page may be of assistance:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html

Other pages I found make the same recommendation.

Regards -- Eliot Moss