[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: version 5.45 of expect/tcl

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:10:00 GMT 2011

On 10/25/2011 6:18 PM, Craig Miller wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I am sure someone else could update the expect package, but I have
> been following cygwin for a year now (support expect-lite on cygwin)
> and saw no updates. There is functionality in the newer expect that
> expect-lite takes advantage of, and it would be nice to have a newer
> version in the distro.
>
> I have included in the package the tcl lib for 8.5. It will get
> installed when this package is installed.
>
> I hope that helps,
>
> Craig...

Craig,
it is clear that you are not yet familiar with the cygwin mailing
list and the way of working of the cygwin maintainer community.

1st) on these mailing lists we do not top-post

2nd) if you need a package to be updated, the right way is to ask
      politely the maintainer to update it, sending an e-mail to this
      mailing list.

3rd) if you want to offer yourself as mantainer "of expect-lite"
      package for cygwin, than you start reading the documentation at
      http://cygwin.com/setup.html

      We expect a package to follow certain rules and be provided
      also as source non only as binary.

As all the package mantainer are volounteers, we appreciate the job
of everyone and we do not step over the other responsabilities.

For your info, here is the list of packages and maintainers:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

As you can see, Christopher is taking care of a lot of packages,
but if you ask politely you have chance to see "expect" updated.

Best Regards
Marco

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Craig Miller<cvmiller@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marco,
>> I am sure someone else could update the expect package, but I have been following cygwin for a year now (support expect-lite on cygwin) and saw no updates. There is functionality in the newer expect that expect-lite takes advantage of, and it would be nice to have a newer version in the distro.
>> I have included in the package the tcl lib for 8.5. It will get installed when this package is installed.
>> I hope that helps,
>> Craig...

>>> I suspect our expect package maintainer (aka cgf) is capable to
>>> update the package by himself.
>>> Moreover the tcltk package in cygwin is based around 8.4 not 8.5.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Marco