Contributing license information?

Luke Kendall luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Fri Oct 21 02:02:00 GMT 2011

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 20 14:48, Luke Kendall wrote:
>
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Just create a new package for the distro which keeps the information
>>> and maintain it.  Somebody will have to keep the information up to date
>>> anyway.
>>>

>>> Corinna
>>>

>> Is usr/share/doc/common-licenses/ within the "base-files" package,
>> supposed to be the place where all license information is collected?
>> Should I just use that?
>>

> It's a good place for this, yes.
>

>> I only today noticed
>> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-06/msg00275.html
>>
>> I believe usr/share/doc/common-licenses/ lists many licenses that
>> are not used in the base-files package.
>>

> That was not the intention.  The intention was to collect licenses
> used by the sum of Cygwin distro packages.

Okay.  So in reply to your later email, I will plan to provide the added
information about licenses into the base-files package, instead of
creating a new one.  (I hope I have understood you correctly!)

Can I ask a related question: for the few shell scripts and /etc files
provided in base-files: what license are they under?  The package
contains lots of licenses, as we've been discussing, but I couldn't find
any indication of which license applies to the actual non-license files
in base-files itself!

Regards,

luke