building a cygwin aware GHC

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:04:00 GMT 2011

On 10/20/2011 1:01 AM, Nathan Thern wrote:
> I am attempting (for probably the tenth time) to compile the GHC
> haskell compiler.
>
> The problem with GHC is that the windows version is compiled with
> MinGW, and cygwin is considered to be nothing other than a MinGW
> alternative. IOW, the source code is riddled with assumptions that if
> you are building GHC with cygwin then what you want in the end is a
> cygwin-unaware windows-compliant executable.
>
> I have attempted in the past to modify configure(.ac) to trick the
> build system into thinking that the target OS is an unknown unix
> platform, but IIRC that failed during the compilation of some code
> inside a #ifdef WIN32 block.
>
> This time I'm thinking I will go through the source and expunge all
> code that's conditional for MinGW, CYGWIN32, WIN32_*, etc. After an
> autoreconf the autobuild system's innate awareness of cygwin should
> allow me to build as if the target is some generic unix-like system.
>
> Before I get started, I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like
> this before and has any tips. Are there any win32 related CFLAGS that
> I want to leave alone or can I expunge them all?
>
> regards,
> NT

no experience on GHC and looking at the source, I am sure you need
to cut through the source tree.
Look also the aclocal.m4 ont only configure.ac

I noticed also wrong/obsolete assumption around the code

libraries/base/GHC/ConsoleHandler.hs:--  * Cygwin shells with @CYGWIN=tty@

that you need to evaluate also.

Good Luck
Marco