openssh authentification

Clayton Evans CEvans@joshitech.com
Fri Oct 14 18:44:00 GMT 2011

> > > So all three of those keys were offered, but none were accepted.  Are the public keys for those in your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the > server?
> >
> > I copied the .ssh/authorized_keys file from the client to the host before the ssh -vvv jti031 was done.
>
> OK, but that's not exactly what I asked.  The question is, is one of those public keys (/home/cevans/.ssh/id_rsa.pub, /home/cevans/.ssh/id_dsa.pub, or /home/cevans/.ssh/id_ecdsa.pub from the client) in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the server?

No, the id_*.pub files were not copied.

I have now copied all three id_*.pub files from the client to the host.  I have rerun 'ssh -vvv jti031' with identical results. (At least diff finds the results to be identical.)

> > Do you by chance have any "from" restrictions on the keys in
> > authorized_keys?  For example,
> >
> > from="localhost" ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc...
> >
> > That could cause the server to reject the keys.
>
> I have not intentionally added any "from" restrictions on the keys.
> From your question I infer that this would be in the authorized_keys file.

Correct, see AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT in sshd(8).

> The lines in the authorized_keys file begin with ssh-rsa ..., ssh-dss
> ...,
> ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 ....  The lines all end with a white space and
> and client machine name, jti023.

OK, so the answer to that is no.