E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim

Oleksandr Gavenko gavenko@bifit.com.ua
Wed Oct 12 09:04:00 GMT 2011

03.10.2011 2:35, jan.kolar пишет:
> Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa) wrote:
>>
>>     $ cat ~/.vimrc
>> syntax on
>>
>>     $ vim
>> Error detected while processing /cygdrive/e/home/.vimrc:
>> line    1:
>> E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim
>> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>>
>> This issue reported previously:
>>
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-07/msg00105.html
>
> I have no problem with syntax loading.
>
> Did you try reinstall/upgrade/downgrade vim ?
>
> :help syntax-loading
>      Source $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim ....
> :echo $VIMRUNTIME
>      /usr/share/vim/vim73
>
> :help VIMRUNTIME
> or see  http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#$VIMRUNTIME
> http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#$VIMRUNTIME
> for what VIMRUNTIME is, how it defaults and how it can be set.
> (:let $VIMRUNTIME = "/home/piet/vim/vim54"  -- or what about :letglobal here
> ?)

That because you use another Vim. I run vim from 'vim' package:

   $ cygcheck -c vim
   Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
vim                  7.3.254-1      OK

   $ which vim
/usr/bin/vim

   $ cygcheck -l vim
/etc/postinstall/vim.sh
/etc/preremove/vim.sh
/usr/bin/ex
/usr/bin/vi
/usr/bin/vim-nox.exe
/usr/bin/vimtutor

   $ cat /etc/postinstall/vim.sh.done
/usr/sbin/update-alternatives \
	--install /usr/bin/vim vim /usr/bin/vim-nox.exe 10 \

I try all your suggested command and they all fail.

Also I note that there are no any Cygwin specific vim.README
under /usr/share/doc/Cygwin nor under /usr/share/vim,
/usr/share/doc/vim  which is unusual situation for Cygwin package...

Search under:

   http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=vim

list only:

   gvim/gvim-7.2.245-1

which also does not contain $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim

Is it possible to get full featured Vim under Cygwin?

Or separate installation required?