Problem redirecting stderr to pipe in subprocess

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Oct 11 13:13:00 GMT 2011

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:43:42PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
>> My STCs still don't work right for me under the 2011-10-10 snapshot.
>> The bash subprocess no longer shows as stopped when I run ps, but it
>> doesn't produce any output either, and it doesn't terminate for several
>> minutes.  I eventually get the following message on the terminal
>>
>>        1 [main] bash 7604 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed,
>> signal -39, rc 258, Win32 error 0
>>
>> and bash leaves a stackdump.  Are you seeing something different?
>
> For me it works on Cygwin the same as it does on Linux.  No hang,
> obviously.  If it worked like the above I wouldn't have announced
> a fix.

I didn't think you would have, but it's puzzling that it fails on my
system.  I've just replicated the problem on a second computer (this one
running XP SP3, so the OS isn't the issue).

In addition, the 2011-10-10 snapshot doesn't work well with xterm.  When
I start xterm, I see

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell

The xterm problem goes away when I revert to the 2011-08-29 snapshot.

Ken